HYDRO - hydrostatics and intact stability program
Hydro now includes a
powerful feature that greatly enhances its
usefulness to designers and others needing to analyze the hydrostatics of
vessels. With version 4.2.14, you have the freedom to specify a vessel's
center of gravity to be positioned anywhere using all three dimensions.
You are no longer limited to having the CG located on the vessel's
centerline. When specifying an off-center CG, Hydro will automatically
equilibrate the vessel to the correct equilibrium heel angle. In addition,
Hydro can calculate the stability curve for a vessel whose CG is
off-center for any range of heel angles. To complement this feature, Hydro
also allows you to investigate the effect on stability of adding weight
at any off-center position. With these new capabilities, Hydro will give
you greater flexibility in analyzing a vessel's stability.
For a CD, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
a pdf file detailing the new features on our Support page.
Hydro is a Windows-based PC program for calculation
of flotation and righting moments of an elongated floating body, such as the hull of a
boat or a ship. The applications include:
- evaluations of initial and ultimate stability and flotation, and of heel angles for
capsizing and downflooding
- assessment of effects of design alterations on the above properties
- determination of sail-carrying ability (for sailing vessels), of tank volumes and ullage
curves, of ballast volume and center of gravity, and of hull structural weights and
- simulation of stability tests for Coast Guard inspection or ocean racing qualification
The Windows-based version of Hydro includes all features of our older, time-tested
DOS-version with its interactive interface, screen displays of boat's attitude and of
summary graphs, the option to save and/or print all the results, and easy escape from any
- Fixed position hydrostatics -- The model can be placed in the water in any position and
orientation, the program calculates all the integral quantities of interest to the naval
- section areas
- displaced volume
- center of buoyancy
- center of flotation
- wetted surface
- righting moments
- Equilibrated hydrostatics -- An automatic balancing algorithm will bring the model into
a position of hydrostatic equilibrium under whatever conditions of heel and loading are
specified -- trim can be specified to equilibrate automatically or to stay fixed.
- Graphs -- The program generates the data needed to plot stability curves and curves of
form, righting moment curves, and section area curve. Bonjean curves and dynamic stability
calculations are included.
- Any units (English, metric, or other) -- The program works in sea water or fresh water
or a liquid of any other density.
- Critical points -- You can name and key in the coordinates of up to 6 specific points
whose heights above or below the waterplane will be displayed and/or printed in the
standard output summary.
Comprehensive documentation included.
A demo of the program
Price: See Pricelist